Friday, October 28, 2005

Friday Penance

What things can I offer up as penance today?

1). Humiliation – offer up moments of embarrasment or humiliation
[I was reprimanded for making a U-turn within vicinity of school grounds] Aspiration for increase in humility: "Jesus, meek and humble of Heart, make my heart like unto Yours."

2). Food – abstain from a particular food that I crave for today [I had scones this morning] Aspiration for good intention: "All for You, most Sacred Heart of Jesus."

3). Comfort – offer up anything that makes me warm and cozy [I turned up the heater full blast this morning] Aspiration for patience: "My Jesus, mercy."

4). Health – offer pains and aches in the body [my migraine was this big] Aspiration for resignation: "Heart of Jesus, obedient unto death, have mercy on us."

5). Speech – offer up unnecessary words or conversations [I pointed out somebody else's weakness] Aspiration for prudence: "Seat of Wisdom, pray for us."
(Aspirations taken from Fr. John Hardon's Catholic Prayer Book)

2 Comments:

Blogger Staying in Balance said...

That's a wonderful post! I really want to try to remember that Fridays are still days of penance in the church.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Saint Peter's helpers said...

Thanks 4HC! It's a gift that we have a designated day to make acts of reparation. Even the smallest act of penance goes a long way if done with much love for the Lord.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

+ Consecrated to the Blessed Virgin Mary + Click to play "REGINA CAELI"

Apostolic Blessing by Pope Benedict XVI

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
John Paul II
You are Pope John Paul II. You are a force to be
reckoned with.

Which Twentieth Century Pope Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla