Monday, March 20, 2006

St. Joseph

JMJ+D

March 19th marks the official feast day of St. Joseph but since it fell on a Sunday this year, the Church commemorates his feast day today.

St. Joseph was an ordinary manual laborer although descended from the royal house of David. In the designs of Providence he was destined to become the spouse of the Mother of God. His high privilege is expressed in a single phrase, "Foster-father of Jesus." About him Sacred Scripture has little more to say than that he was a just man-an expression which indicates how faithfully he fulfilled his high trust of protecting and guarding God's greatest treasures upon earth, Jesus and Mary.

The darkest hours of his life may well have been those when he first learned of Mary's pregnancy; but precisely in this time of trial Joseph showed himself great. His suffering, which likewise formed a part of the work of the redemption, was not without great providential import: Joseph was to be, for all times, the trustworthy witness of the Messiah's virgin birth. After this, he modestly retires into the background of holy Scripture. Read the rest at Catholic Culture here.



Memorare to St. Joseph

Remember, O most chaste spouse of the Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who implored your help
and sought your intercession were left unassisted.
Full of confidence in your power I fly unto you and beg your protection.
Despise not O Guardian of the Redeemer
my humble supplication,
but in your bounty, hear and answer me.
Amen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Act of Consecration to St. Joseph

O dearest St. Joseph, I consecrate myself to your honor
and give myself to you,
that you may always be my father,
my protector and my guide in the way of salvation.
Obtain for me a greater purity of heart
and fervent love of the interior life.
After your example may I do all my actions
for the greater glory of God,
in union with the Divine Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
O Blessed St. Joseph, pray for me,
that I may share in the peace and joy of your holy death.
Amen.
~~~
"Of all the people I have known with a true devotion and particular veneration for St. Joseph, not one has failed to advance in virtue; he helps those who turn to him to make real progress. For several years now, I believe, I have always made some request to him on his feast day, and it was always been granted; and when my request is not quite what it ought to be, he puts it right for my greater benefit."
— St. Teresa of Avila

Image of St. Joseph from here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

+ Consecrated to the Blessed Virgin Mary + Click to play "REGINA CAELI"

Apostolic Blessing by Pope Benedict XVI

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
John Paul II
You are Pope John Paul II. You are a force to be
reckoned with.

Which Twentieth Century Pope Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla