Monday, January 23, 2006

500 Years of the Swiss Guards

VATICAN CITY -- Pope Benedict XVI thanked the Swiss Guards on Sunday for their 500 years of service protecting the popes, as the Vatican opened its official commemorations of the anniversary of the first mercenaries' arrival from Switzerland. More here.

Read the history of the Swiss Guards here.


Swiss Guards depicted in a painting, genuflecting during High Mass.


Traditional full dress uniform. Pleated gorget or throat-piece, white gloves, grey metal morion with ostrich-feather plume.

Contemporary uniforms: plain white collar and black beret.


The main weapon of the Swiss Guards is the halberd. A halberd is a weapon that looks like an axe with a spear at the top and it sits on a long pole.

Everyday uniforms or drill uniforms are all blue.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

They are so colorful! I have never paid attention before, so it's good that the Pope B has brought attention their way, and of course thanking them.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a neat thing to be able to say:
"Oh, my son is a Swiss Guard" or "I was a Swiss Guard in my youth".

What a cool, cool thing!

6:02 PM  
Blogger Staying in Balance said...

I wanted to say I love your picture of the Infant Jesus. It is beautiful and reminds me of the Christmas crib my mom has.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Saint Peter's helpers said...

Carmel, the fact that they have protected the pope for half of a millenia is proof of Divine Providence. Yes, I like all the colors of their uniform and the blue one is especially synonymous with Our Lady's color.

Anonymous, yes, that is most certainly cool to be able to have a son as a Swiss Guard! Or just to know someone is enough for me! I wonder who their patron saint is?

7:19 AM  
Blogger Saint Peter's helpers said...

4HC, thank you so much for the compliment. Baby Jesus inspired me to put Him there. God bless your mom to have a Christmas Crib like that.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

+ Consecrated to the Blessed Virgin Mary + Click to play "REGINA CAELI"

Apostolic Blessing by Pope Benedict XVI

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
John Paul II
You are Pope John Paul II. You are a force to be
reckoned with.

Which Twentieth Century Pope Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla