Friday, February 03, 2006

Friday Abstinence

Today is First Friday. Sending out an invitation to abstain from eating meat today for the intentions of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and in reparation for sins.

Abstinence (depriving oneself of certain foods) has been a part of the history of man since the beginning, when God said to the first man, Adam, that he should not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, lest he die (Gn 2:16). It is generally understood that this was so that man would always recognize his dependence on his Creator. But Adam disobeyed God and this sin was transmitted to all his descendents. Penance thus became necessary in order to make up to God for the transgression against Him. The Hebrews, therefore, developed a tradition that would satisfy this necessity for penance. Read more here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

I'd love to post this on my blog. Do I have your permission to copy and paste it over there?

Thanks. I love your blog and how you serve Christ's Church. I hope you win a Catholic blog award, you deserve it.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Saint Peter's helpers said...

Hi Moneybags! You're so very kind. Please feel free to share whatever information you need in your blog. I hope you win too, I voted for you for most devotional. You too are an inpsiration to others. I hope you find a seminary that God wills for you. I encourage you to check out the Franciscan friars of the Eternal Word. God bless you.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

+ Consecrated to the Blessed Virgin Mary + Click to play "REGINA CAELI"

Apostolic Blessing by Pope Benedict XVI

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
John Paul II
You are Pope John Paul II. You are a force to be
reckoned with.

Which Twentieth Century Pope Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla