Thursday, February 23, 2006

Pater Noster, The Our Father

Okay folks, here's our first lesson in Latin: The Our Father. If you don't know it yet, then what a better way to learn it than to sing it. Follow along by singing the lines indicated in red.

Our instructor will be the Servant of God, Pope John Paul II.

Just click here => PATER NOSTER

Pater noster qui es in coelis,
Our Father in heaven,

sanctifcetur nomen tuum.
hallowed be your name.

Adveniat regnum tuum,
Your kingdom come,

fiat voluntas tua,
your will be done,

sicut in coelo et in terra.
on earth as it is in heaven.

Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie,
Give us this day our daily bread,

et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
and forgive us our debts,

sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostri,
as we also have forgiven our debtors,

et ne nos inducas in tentationem,
and do not bring us to the time of trial,

sed libera nos a malo.
but rescue us from the evil one.


(Matthew 6,9-13) St. Peter's. Rome, March 22,1995

~Courtesy of Sony Classics~

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh that is so cool thank you for the first lesson.
It is quite simmilar to Italian, that should make it much easier for me!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gotta love Latin!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Karuna said...

Hello SPH - I was wondering if you were as taken with Pope John Paul as you are with Pope Benedict. You seem to really be in his service.

Endtimer

12:27 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

O, Thank you! I've been trying to learn latin, but I need to hear it to be able to pronouce it. I loved the latin audio. I'm looking forward to the next lesson :)

7:07 AM  
Blogger Saint Peter's helpers said...

Carmel, isn't it cool? Before you know it, you've memorized it.

Danny, Amen!

Endtimer soul, hello! Yes, I love Pope John Paull II. I am the product of his pontificate... I guess you could say that I'm from the JP2 generation having been to 2 World Youth Days. I love him as I love all the saints and it is due to this communion of saints that I am drawn closely to him. I also love Benedict because he is my spiritual father and I look up to him as God's vicar on earth.

Moneybags: You're welcome my friend! I hope we can all learn Latin here together.

God bless you all.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just bought some cd-roms today to help me learn Hebrew, Greek,German, and Italian. I figure Italian will be good to help me brush up on my Latin since they are very similar. Also, with the German, I will be able to listen to the Holy Father in his native tongue!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Saint Peter's helpers said...

Hey Danny, that's great! Yes, sometimes when there are interviews with the Pope, he speaks in either Italian or German. So it would be helpful to learn them. Maybe you can help us out in Latin here too?

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

+ Consecrated to the Blessed Virgin Mary + Click to play "REGINA CAELI"

Apostolic Blessing by Pope Benedict XVI

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
John Paul II
You are Pope John Paul II. You are a force to be
reckoned with.

Which Twentieth Century Pope Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla