Wednesday, February 08, 2006

From African Slave to Saint

Saint Josephine Bakhita's sufferings.

The cuttings, mutilations, the tattooing and the beatings were only a few of the sufferings the child slave Bakhita endured. Bakhita herself said that she really revealed less, rather than more of the sufferings she had to endure as a slave, and that much of what she had suffered was known only to God. However, when delicately questioned as to whether her virginity had been violated, Bakhita replied: "I was sunk in the mud, but, thank God, I was never sullied. Through the Mercy of God I was preserved. Our Lady protected me, even before I could know her."

Looking at the picture of Bakhita on her day of Profession, and seeing how beautiful she was, it truly could be said that it WAS almost miraculous that she had escaped such a violation.


Seeing the sun, the moon and the stars, I said to myself, 'Who could be the Master of these beautiful things?' I felt a great desire to see him, to know him and to pay him homage.

I have given everything to my Master: He will take care of me The best thing for us is not what we consider best, but what the Lord wants of us!

I received the Sacrament of Baptism with such joy that only angels could describe
O Lord, if I could fly to my people and tell them of your Goodness at the top of my voice: oh, how many souls would be won!

If I were to meet the slave-traders who kidnapped me and even those who tortured me, I would kneel and kiss their hands, for if that did not happen, I would not be a Christian and Religious today

The Lord has loved me so much: we must love everyone we must be compassionate!
I can truly say that it was a miracle I did not die, because the Lord has destined me for greater things

Mary protected me even before I knew her!
When a person loves another dearly, he desires strongly to be close to the other: therefore, why be afraid to die? Death brings us to God!

-assorted quotes by Saint Josephine Bakhita




Prayer to Saint Josephine Bakhita Canossian Daughters of Charity Daughter of Africa “Universal Sister”

Loving God, rewarder of the humble, you blessed St. Josephine Bakhita with charity and patience. May her prayers help us, and her example inspire us to carry our cross and to love you always. Pour upon us the spirit of wisdom and love with which you filled St. Josephine Bakhita.

By serving you as she did, may we please you by our faith and our actions. Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

To obtain favor from St. Josephine Bakhita please say an Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be and kindly remember to pray for our suffering Christian brothers and sisters in Sudan, her native land, who at this very moment are being persecuted, sold into slavery, and converted against their will to the Muslim religion.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! What an amazing woman. And who found God in the way she did.
I haven't read about her before.
Thanks

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw an EWTN special on this saint. What a fine example of strong womanhood.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Saint Peter's helpers said...

I saw the same special on EWTN. Yes, she is a beautiful saint. Her eyes are awesome. They seem to exude the love of God!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

+ Consecrated to the Blessed Virgin Mary + Click to play "REGINA CAELI"

Apostolic Blessing by Pope Benedict XVI

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
John Paul II
You are Pope John Paul II. You are a force to be
reckoned with.

Which Twentieth Century Pope Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla