Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Thank you St. Anthony!

JMJ+D

St. Anthony has done it again! He has never failed me. I say this not to tempt him but to acknowledge his goodness to me and to testify to you that he is a powerful saint of God who helps those who go to him in faith and trust.

Okay, here's my testimony.

Last night, I lost my Dominican Cross! I was so sad because this was so much a part of me and it had hung around my neck since I made my first profession as a Third Order Dominican. My brother said, "Don't worry, St. Anthony's feast day is tomorrow". This consoled me very much because now I could run to my dear saint for help. I stopped worrying and started to ask him to help me find my cross. I told him I trusted his help whether or not I would ever find it again. I traced back my steps to recall where I may have lost it and remembered that I was at a department store fitting room. I suspected the chord that hung around my neck broke off and the cross fell on the floor.

Today, after saying the prayer to St. Anthony (the one I posted earlier), I called the department store's lost and found office and they said that they had not seen a cross. I was connected to the department where I was fitting on clothes and described to the lady on the phone a description of the cross. She said, "I'm holding the cross in my hand right now but the chord is gone." I said, "I care only about the cross, I can replace the chord". I was so happy and thanked St. Anthony by saying three Hail Mary's in honor of his glorious name.

Later this afternoon, a man came into the office and was turning in a bunch of keys which were left in the restroom and someone turned them in. I realized that the keys were mine! I didn't even realize they were missing. Again, I thanked my dear heavenly friend St. Anthony and offered another three Hail Mary's in his honor.

As a tribute to my heavenly friend, dearest saint and Doctor of the Church, here is a brief history of one of the greatest preachers of all time!

Brief history of St. Anthony

Saint Anthony was canonized less than one year after his death.

There is perhaps no more loved and admired saint in the Catholic Church than Saint Anthony of Padua, a Doctor of the Church. Though his work was in Italy, he was born in Portugal. He first joined the Augustinian Order and then left it and joined the Franciscan Order in 1221, when he was 26 years old. The reason he became a Franciscan was because of the death of the five Franciscan protomartyrs -- St. Bernard, St. Peter, St. Otho, St. Accursius, and St. Adjutus -- who shed their blood for the Catholic Faith in the year 1220, in Morocco, in North Africa, and whose headless and mutilated bodies had been brought to St. Anthony’s monastery on their way back for burial. St. Anthony became a Franciscan in the hope of shedding his own blood and becoming a martyr. He lived only ten years after joining the Franciscan Order.

So simple and resounding was his teaching of the Catholic Faith, so that the most unlettered and innocent might understand it, that he was made a Doctor of the Church by Pope Pius XII in 1946. Saint Anthony was only 36 years old when he died. He is called the “hammer of the Heretics” His great protection against their lies and deceits in the matter of Christian doctrine was to utter, simply and innocently, the Holy Name of Mary. When St. Anthony of Padua found he was preaching the true Gospel of the Catholic Church to heretics who would not listen to him, he then went out and preached it to the fishes. This was not, as liberals and naturalists are trying to say, for the instruction of the fishes, but rather for the glory of God, the delight of the angels, and the easing of his own heart. St. Anthony wanted to profess the Catholic Faith with his mind and his heart, at every moment.

He is typically depicted with a book and the Infant Child Jesus, to whom He miraculously appeared, and is commonly referred to today as the "finder of lost articles." Upon exhumation, some 336 years after his death, his body was found to be corrupted, yet his tongue was totally incorrupt, so perfect were the teachings that had been formed upon it.


Catholic Online

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

Wow, what a wonderful testimony. I have a St. Benedict's Cross and it's really dear to me. I know that if I were to lose it, I would be very upset.

St. Anthony is such a wonderful friend to have in Heaven!

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

+ Consecrated to the Blessed Virgin Mary + Click to play "REGINA CAELI"

Apostolic Blessing by Pope Benedict XVI

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
John Paul II
You are Pope John Paul II. You are a force to be
reckoned with.

Which Twentieth Century Pope Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla